Family • Ochnaceae - Ouratea angustifolia Tiegh. - KANNADA - Lie ban sai jin lian mu
|Gomphia angustifolia Vahl.|
|Gomphia serrata (Gaertn.) Kanis.|
|Campylospermum serratum (Gaertner) Bittrich et Amarai|
|Campylospermum angustifolium Van Tiegh.|
|Campylospermum cumingii Van Tiegh.|
|Meesia serrata Gaertn.|
|Ouratea angustifolia Tiegh.|
|Ouratea serrata (Gaertn.) Kanis|
Other vernacular names
|CHINESE: Chi ye sai jin lian mu, Lie ban ao li mu.|
|THAI: Hu kwang.|
|Angali (P. Bis.)|
|Buluk (P. Bis.)|
|Inbibinga (Tagb., Kuy..)|
|Mata-mata (P. Bis.)|
|Pagulingon (C. Bis.)|
|Pauil (Neg., Ibn.)|
|Lie ban sai jin lian mu (Chin.)|
Barsik is a smooth, small, much-branched tree. Leaves are distichous, lanceolate, 6 to 12 centimeterslong, pointed at both ends, and with toothed margins. Veins on the blade are very close and numerous, with 2 marginal one near the edge. Flowers are numerous, yellow, very small, and borne on large pyramidal, terminal and axillary panicles. Fruit, which consists of 5 carpels or fewer, surrounded by persistent sepals, is ovoid, 7 to 18 millimeters long, black, and shining. Seeds are erect, with a green embryo.
– Found in primary forests at low altitude in Cagayan, Ilocos Norte, Zambales, Quezon, and Camarines Provinces in Luzon; and in Mindoro, Culion, Busuanga, Palawan, Balabac, Masbate, Romblon, Panay, Guimaras, Negros, and Mindanao.
– Also reported from India, indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapor
– Roots yield gallocatechin.
– Roots and leaves are bitter, considered tonic, stomachic, antiemetic.
Roots and leaves.
– No reported folkloric medicinal use in the Philippines.
– In Malabar, decoction of roots and leaves used as tonic, stomachic, and antiemetic.
– In India, roots used as antiemetic.
– In the Kerala forests of India, gum used in treatment of rheumatism and chronic skin diseases.
– In Thailand, decoction of root used for bodily discomforts.
• Flavonoids / Leaves: Study evaluated an alcoholic extract of leaves for total flavonoid content. Results showed a total of 720 µg/mg in cold alcoholic leaf extracts, a high content probably responsible for antioxidant activity, and makes the plant a promising candidate as a natural source of antioxidants with high value.