Family • Lamiaceae - Clerodendrum bethuneanum Low - GLORYBOWER - Cheng tong
|Clerodendron bethuneanum Low|
|Clerodendron squamatum Hallier f.|
|C. squamatum Vahl var. bethuneanum Bakh.|
|C. japonicum (Thunb.) Sweet|
|Anoran (Tagb.)||Mata-kuo (P. Bis.)|
|Antiuñgan-pula (Sul.)||Maitum (Mbo.)|
|Biniuang (Tag.)||Udan-udan (Sub.)|
|Guanton (C. Bis.)||Cheng tong (Chin.)|
|Kuli-kali (Sul.)||Japanese glorybower (Engl.)|
Clerodendrum is a genus of flowering plants in the Lamiaceae family. It is a member of the subfamily Ajugoideae, one of four subfamilies transferred from Verbenaceae to Lamiaceae based on morphological and molecular phylogenetics.
Biniuang is a small, smooth shrub growing to a height of 1 to 2 meters. Branches are green, streaked with purple, and four-angled. Lower leaves grow on long stalks and are heart-shaped, very large, measuring up to 32 centimeters wide; with pointed tips and obscurely toothed margins. Upper leaves become gradually smaller and finally pass into bracts. Panicles are large, pyramidal in form, lax, terminal, and 50 to 90 centimeters long. Flowers are crimson. Calyx is large, inflated, conical, and almost winged at the angles, the five lobes being elliptic or ovate and about 10 millimeters long. Corolla-tube, which is slightly longer than the calyx, divides into five, oblique, spreading, oblong lobes. Stamens are purple, very long – 5 to 6 centimeters in length. Fruit is about 1 centimeter in diameter, usually 2-lobed,and clasped by persistent calyx lobes.
– In thickets, clearings, and secondary forests at low altitudes in Bataan, Quezon, Laguna, and Camarines Provinces in Luzon; and in Palawan, Balabac, Polilio, Catanduanes, Masbate, Leyte, Panay, Negros, Cebu, Mindanao, and Basilan.
– Also occurs in India, Japan, Borneo and Celebes.
Considered antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, vulnerary.
– In the Philippines, infusion of leaves used by women during pregnancy.
– Elsewhere, used in the treatment of leucorrhea, metritis, menstrual disorders, jaundice, furunculosis, impetigo, anthralgia, osteodynia, lumbago and hypertension.
– Poultice of pounded fresh leaves and washing with juice used for healing wounds, burns, boils and impetigo.
– Decoction of flowers used in the treatment of gonorrhea, hematochezia, and epistaxis.