Family • Magnoliaceae - Magnolia coco Lour. - CHINESE MAGNOLIA
|Magnolia coco (Lour.) DC.|
|Gwillimia indica (Lour.) N. H. Xia & C. Y. Wu.|
|Liriodendron coco Lour..|
|Liriopsis pumila Spach. ex Baill.|
|Talauma coco (Lour.) Merr..|
|Magnolia (Tag., Engl.)|
|Coconut magnolia (Engl.)|
|Dwarf magnolia (Engl.)|
|Egg magnolia (Engl.)|
|Michelia coco (Engl.)|
Additional Sources and Suggested Readings
(2) Magnolia: gen info / Wikipedia
(3) The Constituents from the Leaves of Magnolia coco / Hsi-Jung Yu, Chien-Chih Chen andBor-Jinn Shieh / Journal of the Chinese Chemical Society, Volume 45, Issue 6, pages 773–778, December 1998
/ DOI: 10.1002/jccs.199800116
(4) Two New Constituents from the Leaves of Magnolia coco / His-Jung Yu et al / J. Nat. Prod., 1998, 61 (8), pp 1017–1019 / DOI: 10.1021/np970571d
(5) Analysis of Chemical Constituents of Essential Oils from Magnolia coco by GC-MS / ZHU Xiao-yong,SHAO Min-min,ZHANG Hong-jian,LU Ru-mei* / Chinese Journal of Experimental Traditional Medical Formulae, 2011-08
(6) Magnolia coco / Synonyms / The Plant List
Plant is a medium-sized shrub or a small tree growing to 3 meters. Leaves are smooth alternate, acuminate, elliptic-oblong, up to 16 centimeters long, dark green above, and waxy pale green below. Flowers are single, nodding, rounded like an egg or baby coconut, opening up with 6 white fragrant petals. Unlike most magnolias lacking nectar, Magnolia coco secretes a nectar-like substance inside the flower.
– Native to China.
– Planted but not common in the Philippines.
– Propagated by seeds or marcotting.
Bark, flowers, leaves.
• Tha aromatic bark contains magnolol and honokiol, polyphenolic compounds that have antianxiety and anti-angiogenic properties.
• Study on leaves yielded a new compound, among eighteen compounds including fourteen lignans, one coumarin, and three alkaloids.
• Study yielded a new amide, magnolamide and a new lignan, magnolone, and 11 known compounds from the leaves of Magnolia coco.
Flowers added to tea to enhance the fragrance.
– No reported folkloric medicinal use in the Philippines
– Used in Japanese and Chinese traditional medicine.
Used for insomnia, leucorrhea, productive coughing.
– Bark used for allergic and asthmatic conditions.
– Magnolia bark extracts also reported to inhibit bacteria responsible for dental caries and periodontal disease.
• LDL Oxidation Inhibition: Inhibition of low density lipoprotein oxidation by tetrahydrofurofuran lignans from Forsythia suspensa and Magnolia coco.
• Phytochemicals / New Constituents: Study yielded a new amide, magnolamide and a new lignan, magnolone with eleven known compounds from the leaves of Magnolia coco.
• Oral Hygiene Component: Magnolia bark extract in combination with a surface active agent is a component of a chewable oral composition with cleansing, breath freshening and antimicrobial benefits.(Patent pending)
• Essential Oil Constituents: The principal constituents of essential oils in M.coco from Guangxi are α-pinene, nerolidol, caryophyllene, germacrene D, bicyclogermacrene.
• Antioxidant Activity / Tetrahydrofurofuran Lignans: Tetrahydrofurofuran lignans from Forsythia suspensa and Magnolia coco were shown to exhibit antioxidant activity due to inhibition of oxidation of low-density lipoproteins (LDL).