Family • Cucurbitaceae - Melothria indica Lour. - MOUSE CUCUMBER - Ye shao gua
|Bryonia japonica Thunb.|
|Bryonia leucocarpa Blume|
|Cucumis luzonicus Linn.|
|Melothria indica Lour.|
|Melothria japonica (Thunb.) Maxim. ex Cogn.|
|Melothria leucocarpa (Blume) Cogn.|
|Melothria odorata Hook.|
|Melothria zeylanica Cogn.|
|Zehneria indica (Lour.) Keraudren|
|Ma er (Chin.)|
|Mouse cucumber (Engl.)|
|Indian zehneria (Engl.)|
|Ye shao gua (Chin.)|
Other vernacular names
|CHINESE: Ma die er|
|RUSSIAN: Melotriia indijskaia, Zheneria indijskaia.|
|THAI: Tam lueng tua phu|
Additional Sources and Suggested Readings
(1) Method of inducing apoptosis in cancer cells using an extract of Melothria indica Lou / Tsai, David(06-Nov-2001)
(2) Plant extract that inhibits the release of tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha) / FreePatentsOnLine
(3) Sorting Zehneria names / Maintained by: Michel H. Porcher, / MULTILINGUAL MULTISCRIPT PLANT NAME DATABASE
Melon-daga is a slender vine 1 to 2 meters long, with simple tendrils. Leaves are rough, triangular-ovate, 3 to 8 centimeters long, pointed at the tip, and heart-shaped at the base; the margins are subentire, irregularly toothed, or even slightly lobed. Flowers are somewhat straw-colored, solitary or few in each axil of the leaves, about 5 millimeters long, and borne on slender pedicels 1 to 2.5 centimeters long. Male and female flowers are often in the same axil. Fruit is ovoid or ellipsoid, pointed and about 2 centimeters long.
– Along streams, old clearings, etc., at low and medium altitudes in the Batan Islands; Ifugao, Lepanto, and Benguet Subprovince; Bataan, Rizal, Laguna and Sorsogon Provinces in Luzon; and in Polillo, and Mindanao.
– Also occurs in India to China, and through Malaya to the Moluccas and Samoa.
– Juice of leaves used to cure aphtha in children; also used for opacities of the cornea.
Fruit is used as purgative.
– In the Moluccas juice of leaves applied to sore places affected by thrush; used for eye affections.
• Apoptosis Induction / Cancer Cells: Invention describes a method of inducing apoptosis in cancer cells by administration of Melothria indica to cancer cells – leukemia cells or prostate cancer cells.
• Inhibition of TNF-a release: An extract from Melothria indica plant showed an effect on inhibiting the release of cytokines, including tumor necrosis factor alpha, by immune response cells, such as macrophages.