Family • Guttiferae - Cratoxylon sumatranum (Jack) Blume
|Cratoxylon celebicum Blume|
|Cratoxylon floribundum (Turcz.) F.-Vill.|
|Cratoxylon horschuchii Blume|
|Cratoxylon sumatranum (Jack) Blume|
|Cratoxylon arboreum Elm.|
|Ancistrolobus floribundus Turcz.|
|Bansilai (C. Bis.)||Panaguliñgon (Tag.)|
|Baringkokoring (Ilk.)||Paguringon (Tag.)|
|Baringkukurung (Ilk.)||Paguringan (Mag.)|
|Bariuanuring (Ibn.)||Salinggogon (Tag.)|
|Barikokoroi (Ilk.)||Suilak (Ibn.)|
|Biro (Neg.)||Ugingan (Ilk.)|
|Guyong-guyong (Tag.)||Uling (Ting.)|
|Kaminoringen (Ilk.)||Ulingon (C. Bis.)|
|Kansilai (P. Bis.)||Ulingun (Mbo.)|
|Kuelan (Ig.)||Uring (Bag.)|
|Kuttu (Ibn.)||Utto (Ibn.)|
|Olingon (C. Bis, Mbo., Sul.)||Uugin (Ap.)|
|Pagoriñgon (P. Bis.)|
Additional Sources and Suggested Readings
(1) Isolation and Structural Elucidation of New Xanthone from Rot Bark of Cratoxylum sumatranum / M.B.B. Buana, M. Iqbal, T.F. Barus, Z. Al-Fatony, H. Sudrajat and S. Khairi / Botany Research International 2 (4): 233-234, 2009
(2) Cytotoxic prenylated xanthones and the unusual compounds anthraquinobenzophenones from Cratoxylum sumatranum. / Seo EK, Kim NC, Wani MC, Wall ME, Navarro HA, Burgess JP, Kawanishi K, Kardono LB, Riswan S, Rose WC, Fairchild CR, Farnsworth NR, Kinghorn AD. / J Nat Prod. 2002 Mar;65(3):299-305.
(3) Cratoxylum celebicum Blume / The Plant List
(4) Cratoxylum sumatranum (Jack) Blume / The Plant List
Panagulingon is a small tree or an erect shrub. Bark is longitudinally checked, brownish with occasional whitish spots. Branchlets are smooth and very slender. Leaves are opposite, well scattered, narrowly oblong to broadly oblong, paler beneath, 10 to 14 centimeters long, 3 to 4 centimeters wide, entire, slenderly pointed at the apex, blunt at the base, and borne upon petioles 5 to 8 millimeters long. Flowers are deep-red, borne on terminal panicles which are sometimes elongated. Capsules are brown, fusiform, and about 1 centimeter long, opening from the apex toward the base, and containing flat seeds with short wings.
– Common in thickets and secondary forests, at low and medium altitudes from Cagayan to Sorsogon Provinces in Luzon; and in Mindoro, Masbate, Leyte, Bucas Grande, and Mindanao.
– Also occurs in Celebes, Indonesia.
– Study of rot bark yielded isolated a new xanthone, sumatranaxanthone A.
– Study of leaves, twigs and stem bark yielded six new xanthones, cratoxyarborenones A-F, along with known compound, vismione B, and two novel anthraquinobenzophenones, cratoxyarborequinones A and B, and known compounds, 2,4,6-trihydroxybenzophenone 4-O-geranyl ether and delta-tocotrienol.
Roots, leaves, bark.
– In the Philippines, a decoction of roots, leaves, and bark is given to women after childbirth as protective medicine.
– Young leaves are chewed for relief of coughs.
– In Indonesia, used for infections, dysentery, cold and toothache.
– Wood: Use as firewood or charcoal.
• Sumatrnaxanthone / Antioxidant / Rot Bark: Study of rot bark isolated a new xanthone, sumatranaxanthone A. Preliminary study showed antioxidative activity with ascorbic acid as standard.
• Xanthones and Vismione B: Study of leaves, twigs, and stem bark yielded six new xanthones, cratoxyarborenones A-F, along with known compound, vismione B, active constituents by fractionation using KB human cancer cell line cytotoxicity assay.