Family • Rubiaceae - Oldenlandia biflora Linn. - TWO FLOWER MILLE GRAINES
|Oldenlandia biflora Linn.|
|Hedyotis biflora Linn.|
|Hedyotis dichotoma Cav.|
|Hedyotis media Cav.|
|Oldenlandia crassifolia DC.|
|Hedyotis paniculata (L.) Lam.|
|Oldenlandia paniculata Linn.|
|Palarapdap (S. L. Bis.)|
|Two flower mille graines (Engl.)|
Other vernacular names
|CHINESE: Shuang hua er cao|
Additional Sources and Suggested Readings
(1) Nat. Order. Rubiaceae. Oldenlandia Herbacea, Dc. Oldenlandia biflora. Roxb / Health and Healing / The Materia Medica Of The Hindus
(2) New Cytotoxic 6-Oxygenated 8,9-Dihydrofurocoumarins, Hedyotiscone A-C, from Hedyotis biflora / Yung-Husan Chen, Fang-Rong Chang et al / Letter / Planta Med 2006;72:75-78
Pisek is an annual, smooth herb. Branches are somewhat angled, ascending, and up to 30 centimeters in length. Leaves are shortly stalked, oblong, oblong, elliptical to narrowly elliptical, up to 5 centimeters long. Cymes with 3 to 7 flowers occur in the upper axils, somewhat paniculate, and with slender pedicels. Calyx is green. Corolla is white and small. Capsules are cup-shaped or ovoid, about 3 millimeters long, crowned by four small calyx teeth.
– Common weed in waste places, cultivated soil, etc., at low and medium altitudes throughout the Philippines.
– Also occurs in India to China, Malaya and Polynesia.
– Phytochemical screening yielded alkaloids, tannins, and flavonoids.
– Considered a bitter tonic, febrifuge, anti-dysenteric, anti-ulcer.
– In the Philippines, plant is pounded and applied to wounds.
– Used for fever and gastric ulcers.
– Decoction given internally for diarrhea and dysentery.
– In India, leaves used for remittent fevers, gastric irritation and nervous depression.
– In Hindi medicine, used in prescriptions for fever, diarrhea, skin diseases. Decoction of plant used in bilious fever, stomach irritability, and delirium.
• Furocoumarins / Cytotoxic Compounds: Study of methanol extract isolated three new 6-oxygenated8,9-dihydrofurocoumarin-type compounds, hedyotiscones A, B and C, together with 7 known compounds. Compounds 1-3 showed marginal cytotoxicity against Hep G2 cells (human liver cancer cells).
• Antibacterial: Oldenlandia biflora extracts showed activity against Bacillus subtilis, Shigella dysenteriae, and Staphylococcus aureus.