Family • Moraceae - Ficus nota (Blanco) Merr. - SACKING TREE
|Ficus nota (Blanco) Merr.|
|Ficus aspera var. nota Blanco|
Other vernacular names
|Ipo (Tag., Bis.)|
|Dita (Ibn., Ap.)|
|Mananau (S. L. Bis.)|
|Sacking tree (Engl.)|
Tibig is an erect, spreading, dioecious perennial tree, growing to a height of 8-10 meters. Branchlets are hairy. Leaves oblong to elliptic-obovate, 15 to 35 centimeters long and 8 to 12 centimeters wide; soft and pubescent beneath, the margins irregular and distinctly toothed, the apex abruptly acute, and the base auriculate. Midrib of leaves is stout, with 7 to 9 pairs of ascending, curved nerves. Petiole is brown, tomentose, 3 to 5 centimeters long. Tubercles are mostly cauline, occasionally from larger branches, clustered, rebranched, rigid, 20 centimeters long, bracteate. Figs are subglobose, 2 to 3.5 centimeters in diameter, glabrous, fleshy, pedunculate, green, becoming yellowish-white at the base, the umbilical scales exerted. Peduncle is acute, 2 centimeters long, with three bracts.
– In thickets and forests, especially in areas saturated with water, at low and medium altitudes.
– Used as live fence.
– Occurs in Batan Island, Polilio, Mindoro, Culion and Balabac regions of Palawan, Panay, Samar, Leyte.
– Also occurs in North Borneo.
– Dichlormethane extract of unripe fruits yielded 4-(2-hydroxyethyl)- 2-methoxyphenol, a mixture of meso-2,3-butanediol, (2R,3R)-2,3-butanediol and (2S,3S)-2,3- butanediol and Î²-sitosterol.
Bark, fruit, leaves and seeds.
– Ripe fruits are edible but rather tasteless; usually eaten with sugar.
– Young leaves eaten as vegetable.
– Water extracted from standing tree drunk three times daily for fever.
– Extracted water applied to relieve muscle pain.
– Decoction of roots and bark used for urinary tract infections.
– Water from cut branches used for urinary infections.
– Used for hypertension and diabetes.
– Wood: Used as firewood or charcoal.
• Constituents: Dichlormethane extract of unripe fruits yielded 4-(2-hydroxyethyl)- 2-methoxyphenol, a mixture of meso-2,3-butanediol (2a), (2R,3R)-2,3-butanediol (2b) and (2S,3S)-2,3- butanediol (2c) and Î²-sitosterol.